Friday 4 September 2009

DRAG DAY II

A couple of us headed up to York raceway at the weekend to put our cars through their paces. Due to a tow car problem in the end Stussy Rich couldn't make it to the track with his 65, which just left me with my turbo 54 and Poe with his turbo 64 heading up to race, but a few of the local lads Peach, Steve M, Kev D and Sue and Matt & Gaz Lawton headed up for moral support and cups of tea (thanks Steve!).Both Paul and myself are still shaking down our setups, in particular mine - which was still in lots of small pieces just days before the racing - being an unknown quantity. After some fun and games on day 1 where Paul & I traded wins against each other (culminating in a best of the day for me of 13.25 @ 107, and 13.3 @ 90 for Paul) we ended the day with some beers with the chaps from the Air Cooled Eliminators. Top day, and for me mission accomplished, having got the car to the track and successfully from one end to the other. The day wasn't entirely plain sailing though as I had an 'incident' mid track which saw me off the road and into the field... no harm done though, just my pride dented....

Day 2 started a bit cloudy with a wind that varied from tailwind to side wind, so we both took it easy. First pass of the day for me was a 13.6 and Paul was around the low 13's. Paul then went on to click off a couple of VERY good launches back to his old form, the bet of which saw him pulling wheelies in 1st AND 2nd gear and crossing the line in 12.14 seconds. I dropped my tyre pressures and played with launch rpm a little bit, still struggling with lots of wheel spin, but managed a new pb of 13.1 seconds @ 110 mph.To say I'm pleased with the results is an understatement - at those kinds of speeds with the right launch I'm easily into 12's so for this weekends fun at VW Action I'm strapping on some bigger tyres and we'll see what happens. If any of you lot are attending drop by to the pits & say hi!

I'll not bother updating the ET board because (drum roll), this weekend we're back off to the strip, this time for Drag Day III at Santa Pod raceway. With Kev and John gunning for those elusive 11 second quarter mile times, and me aiming to break into the 12's it doesn't seem worth the time spent modfying it this week!

No comments: